Dienstag, 17. Februar 2015

[Review] HadaLabo Gokujyun Lotion (Light) & Milky Lotion

Hey pandas,

How are you doing? I'm still fighting with the cold here and busy with university applications and job-hunting -.-
Writing this blog has become a very welcomed and liked distraction. It's really nice to test all those products, research ingredients and write entries like this one =D

So...today I bring you the review of two really hyped products. I almost feel like there's no way around them "^^

I first stumbled upon those two products when I lived in Japan in 2013. I packed most of my skincare before going there because I wasn't into Asian skincare at that time but sooner or later I ran out of my usual cremes and had to face Japanese drugstores. Not only are loud voices telling you about the newest products over speaker there there are many bright signs and I was really confused. Somehow I ended up buying the HadaLabo Gokujyun Lotion. However, at that time I thought it was a toner. Silly me. Lotion, Essence, Serum, etc. are something that are not really common in German drugstores and I was quite puzzled as to how to use this product. Researched online and decided to use it as a moisturizer since I have an oily T-zone so I was always reluctant to use heavy moisturizer. Well, I figured out quite quickly that this was not the way XD So I went to the drugstore again and found the Milky Lotion. So basically, those two products are part of my first real contact with Asian skincare.


So, the star ingredient of those products is hyaluronic acid.
What is hyaluronic acid? Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occuring substance that is especially present in the human skin. [1] Hyaluronic acid preserves tissue hydration in skin and is therefore often used as a moisturizing agent in cosmetics [2].
There are more interesting effects of hyaluronic acids but for skincare we should just note that it is seen as a good source of hydration for the skin.



What they say:
Hada Labo Gokujyun Super Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Lotion instantly hydrates skin and helps preserve its optimum moisture balance. Replenishes and locks-in moisture for complete hydration.


Ingredients:
Water, Dipropylene Glycol Dimethyl Ether, Glycerin, Hydrolyzed Hyaluronic Acid, Sodium Acetylated Hyaluronate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Disodium Succinate, PPG-20 Methyl Glucose Ether, Succinic Acid, Methylparaben

Now that's a nice and short ingredient list. According to cosdna, everything looks fine. Only one yellow-flagged ingredient.


This product is free of fragrances, mineral oil and colorant (that's what they claim at least).

The packaging is a round, clear plastic bottle with a white plastic cap. The light version has a green theme, the normal one a white theme.


No pump but since it's a hydrating toner I would advise to use your hands to apply it anyways so it's not that bad.

The product itself is a clear, scentless liquid. It is quite easy to apply, spreads nicely and absorbs rather quickly.


Now onto the effects of the product. I have normal skin with an oily T-zone and don't really experience dryness or flaking skin. So I look for something something that's moisturizing but not too heavy.
Sadly, with this product however, I don't really feel that it does anything. Like it doesn't matter whether I use it or not. I doesn't do anything bad either.
I wouldn't say it's a bad product, it has many good points but it seems like it's just not the product my skin needs. So I probably won't rebuy it once I used it up and rather look for a first essence or fermented product instead.


Pros: light-weight,no scent, no mineral oil, no fragrance, absorbs quickly

Cons: didn't do much for my skin


Overall: 3/5




On to the Milky Lotion


What they say:
Hada Labo Gokujyun Super Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Milk moisturizes deeply, offering nourishing hydration and skin-smoothing conditioners. Infuses your skin with moisture and leaves it with a natural, healthy-looking glow. Skin becomes smoother, softer and richly hydrated.

Ingredients:
Water, Glycerin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Dipropylene Glycol, Squalane, Hydrogenated Poly (C6-12 Olefin),  PPG-10 Methyl Glucose Ether,  Hydrolyzed Hyaluronic Acid, Sodium Acetylated Hyaluronate, Sodium Hyaluronate, PEG-20 Sorbitan Isostearate, Glyceryl Stearate, Dimethicone, Stearyl Alcohol, Carbomer, Behenyl Alcohol, Phytosteryl/Octyldodecyl Lauroyl Glutamate,  Disodium EDTA,  Methylparaben,  Propylparaben


Now this list looks longer than the one from the lotion. According to cosdna there are two red-flagged ingredients and four yellow-flagged ones. Also a few possible acne and irritant triggers...boo



This product is also free from mineral oil, fragrances and colorant (again, as claimed by the company).

The packaging is similar to the one from the Lotion but a little bit shorter. The plastic of the bottle is a little bit milkier than the Lotion one (fitting for the product name, right? XD). It has a white-pink theme.


It has the same dispenser as the lotion which is totally fine by me.

The product itself is a milky lotion (well....that's what the name suggests, right? XD). Just as the Lotion it's easy to apply and spreads nicely. It takes a little longer to absorb into the skin than the Lotion though. Not in an unpleasant way but you can feel the difference.


Onto the effects. As I said before I have normal skin with an oily T-zone and look for something that's moisturizing without being too heavy.
Unlike the Lotion the Milky Lotion is one of my favourite products of all time and does exactly what I'm looking for. It was my savior in the hot, humid summer in Japan. Before Japan my skincare basically consisted of a too rough cleanser, a toner with too much alcohol and a heavy cream. It was hell for my skin. This Milky Lotion just came at the right time.
It is moisturizing enough for my skin without feeling too heavy. Having a too rich moisturizing sitting on top of my skin is one of the worst things for me.  I also like that it's a rather simple moisturizer. No fancy ingredients, just something plain and nice to end my skincare routine. It is the last step (unless I'm using a sleeping pack) and it feels like it's exactly what my skin needs.
I would recommend this for people with normal skin, with an oily T-zone. Perfect combination of moisturizing without being too heavy.
I already had a refill and will definitely continue buying it.


Pros: no scent, no mineral oil, no colorant, no fragrances, not too heavy, moisturizing enough for my normal/combo skin

Cons: can't think of any

Overall: 5/5




[1] Brown MB; Jones SA (2005): "Hyaluronic acid: a unique topical vehicle for the localized delivery of drugs to the skin". JEADV 19: 308-318, London.

[2] Weindl, S. et al (2004): "Hyaluronic Acid and the Treatment and Prevention of Skin Diseases: Molecular Biological, Pharmaceutical and Clinical Aspects". Skin Pharmacol Physiol 17: 207-213.


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen